Sent by Elizabeth Stavis
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled and diced.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- ½ head green cabbage, thinly shredded
- 2 jalapenos, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- ⅔ cup regular coconut milk
- cilantro for topping
- salt to taste
Pour lentils, broth, and sweet potatoes into a large pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 30-45 minutes, or until lentils and sweet potatoes are just barely done cooking. Add the turmeric, tomatoes and ginger to the pot and cook for another 10 minutes.
Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet. Add garlic, onions, and jalapeños. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for 10 minutes, or until cabbage is cooked through.
Add cabbage to lentil pot and stir in coconut milk. Top with cilantro.