Sent by Amanda Ryan
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1-1/4 cups pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 cups less-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrots, garlic, cauliflower and onion. Cook until vegetables being to soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in thyme and barley; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Transfer mixture to slow-cooker bowl. Stir in garbanzo beans, broth, water, salt and pepper. Cook on high 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until barley is tender and most liquid is absorbed.
Remove and discard thyme sprigs; stir in lemon juice. Serve in warm bowls garnished with cheese and parsley.
This can be made as a main dish or as a side. When I make this risotto as a side, I prepare a green salad and grill a steak.